What is PyDev?
PyDev is a Python IDE for Eclipse, which may be used in Python, Jython and IronPython development.
It comes with many goodies such as:
For more details on the provided features, check the Features Matrix.
First time users are strongly advised to read the Getting started guide which explains how to properly configure PyDev.
The recommended way of using PyDev is bundled in LiClipse, which provides PyDev builtin as well as
LiClipse you directly support the development of PyDev).
If you'd like to analyze the performance of your programs, check PyVmMonitor.
- PyDev can now code-complete unpacking compound types (such as list(str), tuple(MyClass), dict(int:str), etc).
- Code-completion now has a maximum amount of time to complete (which may be changed in the code-completion preferences).
- Bytes and Unicode literals now have different colors (note: by default the Unicode kept the same color used for the old 'Strings' configuration).
- Mark occurrences is now also provided on some statements (such as return, continue, etc).
- It's now possible to bind custom keybindings to help in passing custom commands to the interactive console (see: PyDev > Interactive Console > User Commands)
- The bundled autopep8.py and pep8.py were upgraded.
- Search for references (Ctrl+Shift+G) is faster (all processors available are used for the initial search).
- Search page now has a 'whole word' option.
- Improvements in the PyVmMonitor integration in MacOS and Linux to find the PyVmMonitor executable.
- Fixed PyDev-Mylyn integration in the PyDev Package Explorer to work with the latest Mylyn.
- Fixed issue doing code-completion for elements of a list (lst.) in the console. (PyDev-531)
- py.test xfailed tests are no longer marked as 'Failed' in PyUnit view (PyDev-506)
- The debug view now has an interactive console (with history) attached to it by default (which may be toggled on/off). (PyDev-507)
- Debugger no longer reopens a file when that file is already opened. (PyDev-456)
- Handled issue when getting referrers for some object gave an error if it was found in a dict where the key is not a string.
- When interactive console starts in debug session, a banner is no longer shown.
- Stepping with #@DontTrace no longer returns through decorator call-site. (PyDev-526)
- The default for tracing template render exceptions on Django is now false.
- F2 to send contents from editor to console now considers backslash continuations. (PyDev-502)
- Interactive Console interrupt now properly interrupts a sleep call (when possible). (PyDev-500)
- PyDev interactive console now has a user-specified encoding (by default UTF-8). (PyDev-454)
- Scroll the console on stdout / stderr output. (PyDev-504, patch by James Blackburn)
- Moved interactive console initial commands to a separate preferences page.
- Handling interrupted system call EINTR in the pydevconsole.py. (PyDev-534)
- Fixed racing condition where the output of the console could appear as a user input. (PyDev-490, patch by James Blackburn)
- Fixed issue where indentation lost on rename module refactoring. (PyDev-498)
- The rename modules refactoring wizard now provides a way to do a simple resource rename (to rename extensions).
- Converting filename from .pyx to .py doesn't loose indexing on the file anymore. (PyDev-525)
- The Cython parser now properly scopes methods.
- Pasting contents directly in the PyDev package explorer to create a file uses the proper delimiter.
- Fixed deadlock in ImageCache when rendering debug completions from console. (PyDev-527)
- Fixed deadlock on racing condition when rendering PyTextHover. (PyDev-523)
- Tab settings were separated from the editor color settings and may now be persisted in the project/user settings.
- Fixed surround with try..finally/except indentation on Ctrl+1 when some line has a comment which has a different indentation.